One of the common questions from Paleo enthusiasts is that is protein powder allowed? If yes which one is the best. Here I will provide you with the best Paleo protein powders available in the market and safe to use.
It’s kind of conflicting as thinking about protein powder as a Paleo diet user. Living like our ancestors and eating the Paleo way. However, our ancestors wouldn’t even know what the hell is paleo powder. As our lives changed and we don’t have to run all day hunting. Today life is easier and there are many people are keen to Paleo that still want to work out. Some folks are in to weight lifting, some are running and some just loves to take care of their bodies. I have found that a lot of folks who are in to fitness also are eating the Paleo diet way. In the past people didn’t exercise the way we do it now. Here where it comes supplements in to your diet to achieve better results. Humanity improved over the years so why don’t we use latest achievements of technology?
If you are hardcore Paleo eater than you should follow what you take to your mouth. Be aware of any supplement you use. Here I will provide you the list of the best Paleo protein powder available to buy and use to achieve maximum results without breaking Paleo diet.
I wanted to add a quick information sheet for those who are new to protein powder train and for those who just picks any cheap bottle without looking at nutrition facts. If you are already familiar with such information you can skip to the list right away.
NOT Paleo Friendly Proteins
- Brown rice
- All other vegan protein powders
Paleo Friendly Proteins
- Whey protein concentrate
- Whey protein isolate
- Why protein hydrosylate (highest quality whey)
- Casein protein
- Complete milk protein
- Egg white protein
When Taking Protein Powders is Useful
The first thing to know that supplements will never replace real food, so I always recommend to get protein from real food as much as you can. Eat eggs, fish, chicken, seafood, beef jerky, some nuts with seeds. If you can tolerate dairy than eat some. On the other hand, there are times then protein powder on hand is really useful. Some people use it for variety to mix things up. If you live a busy life and don’t have time to prepare a protein rich food for yourself, here comes a nice shake or smoothie. You always should eat protein rich breakfast and tasty pancakes will do the job. It’s also useful for those who want to have a day without meat or simply want to eat less meat – a nice protein powder serving made the way you love is always here to suit that wish.
The Best Paleo Protein Powder List 2021
You may ask yourself now which one is that you should choose? Well whey is known as chosen by most athletes and the reason behind that is simple – it’s pretty cheap and gives desirable effect. In our case it’s a thin line since it’s made from dairy. If you get high quality whey protein than most allergens are filtered out. Some people argue that it’s good to use them in a paleo diet, but there is always space for debate about that.
Some companies have developed a way to produce beef protein powder also known as beef protein isolate – it’s not made from why. To produce such powder companies are boiling down flesh and other tissue of the cow to produce. You can also find an egg protein added. This type of powder fit paleo diet a lot better.
So here we go with the list of the best Paleo protein powders our fellows are using to achieve desired results.
Paleo Protein Egg White Powder
PALEOPRO Protein Powder
Ultimate Paleo Protein
Premium Collagen Peptides Powder
EQUIP Beef Paleo Protein Powder
Protein and Weight Loss
We found that all the research that has been done on protein diets is kind of tricky. If you add additional protein to your diet – you do one of these: adding more calories or getting lower amounts of something else. A lot of people do not agree that the progress of weight loss is a result of increased protein or decreased carbs and I admit it’s hard to say because there are a lot of research and they don’t agree on the results and each trying to prove their truth. However, according to evidence that states that protein may be valuable. This research published on The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Volume 101, gives us reasonable study and evidence that higher protein intake should be useful and beneficial for weight loss purpose.
- Metabolic. It says that about 25% of the calories you get as protein are being used to digest protein. In other words, it eats itself. And comparing this to fat and carbs the numbers are much lower.
- Satiety. They say that protein is stimulating satiety hormones and as a result by eating high-protein meals you feel full much faster comparing to meals that are higher in fat and carbs.
- Muscle mass. Higher protein diets are good at preserving muscle mass during weight loss. Which is good to your health and helps to maintain weight. Other studies show that protein may be good to help preserve bone mass also.
This is good for now, but a lot of other studies show that there are no significant benefits from trying to increase protein intake. The main problem that catches our eyes are just simple compliance. Long time studies have a problem of high drop out rates and other issues related to compliance. To end this, I would like to add that if you are strong enough to stick with Paleo you can also stick to high protein diet.
Best Time to Take Protein Supplements?
Most of the cases the best time to use protein supplements is after your hard workout. That way your body gets an instant boost of proteins, that way you don’t need to get back home and cook. Don’t think that powder is replacement of food, no. It’s just more convenient. In some cases bodybuilders are using them as meal replacement to get a calorie surplus if struggling to get enough calories from food. So don’t forget that – use them after workout sessions as this is the way to go. The truth is that you don’t need additional supplements and protein powders to get enough protein, this applies to ordinary people who just want to feel good and that is why they choose Paleo, but for those who want to train and have muscle mass larger than ordinary people, then you should take protein powder.
Downside of Protein Powders
- Junk ingredients – major problem is not the protein itself. It’s all the junk that get thrown in alongside. For example: sunflower oil, corn, canola oil, fructose, soy lecithin, sucalose, meltodextrin.
- Unregulated supplements – labels doesn’t always have full ingredient list and that is a big problem. For regular foods there is a full regulatory machine going, but protein powders are not foods, well technically. Ingredients in supplements are not regulated at all in the United States. So you don’t have a guarantee that label has all ingredients listed.
- Meal replacement – there is a reason why it’s called a supplement. But we call it powder, however, it’s not a meal replacement. To do it right you should use protein powder to get more calories plus 3-4 daily meals.
- Insulin response – Whey is not good as it’s most insulin producing protein in milk.
- Denatured proteins – this is the least problem to worry about. Proteins get denatured from the heat, but ordinary cooking also denatures protein so there is nothing to worry about.
To finish this, I would like to add that it’s all about trial and error then it comes to choosing the best Paleo protein powder. It’s takes time to find the right one. This list is made from talks from my friends who are in to fitness and they would recommend the ones I listed here, also hours of research online. Of course, everybody is different and you always have to pay to your body and how it reacts to it. Choosing the right one will help to you notice an improvement in performance, that way you know that you are on the right path.