Hey guys!! So first of all, I have some AWESOME news: I got hired at DAVIDsTEA!! For all of you who don’t know what that is, it’s a pretty new company that sells the most AMAZING teas and I am so beyond excited to work for them!!! A few months ago I submitted some recipes to them using their teas and ever since then, I’ve been HOOKED!
So random news aside, I had my second teaching class today and we made some scrumptious spinach mac n cheese! Last week, the kids were very “Ewwww pumpkin” about their muffins, so I tried to make something this week that would be more appealing to the general kid!
I knew my biggest challenge this week would be getting them to eat the spinach but I gave them no choice and threw it in for them 😀 Although I had a few kids who were all “Oh my gosh I’m gonna VOMIT!”, they actually all ended up REALLY liking it and I felt preeeetty accomplished! I would’ve really liked to use whole wheat pasta here, but due to the budget I really couldn’t fit it in, but the cheese was reduced fat and still much healthier than your average mac n cheese!
Baking them in the muffin tins were supposed to make it so that they came out like “muffins”, but I actually forgot to put it in the eggs which were crucial to make this happen so they just ended up like your typical mac n cheese but they were still yummy! But definitely include them in your recipe if you want them to look like muffins!
- 4 cups cooked macaroni (whole wheat/high fibre)
- 1 package of cooked spinach
- 1 egg & 1 egg white
- 3 oz of cheddar cheese
- 3 oz of a softer melting cheese
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Cook the pasta in salted water
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, adding in the flour and whisk until thick and to cook out the floury taste. Add the garlic, milk and cheese to create the cheese mixture
- Take the mixture off the heat and mix in the egg & egg white
- Drain the pasta & mix it with the spinach and cheese mixture
- Lightly grease the muffin tins with oil
- Pop into the oven for 10-15 minutes or until browned
** I also threw in some cooked and shredded chicken thigh in here, just for a bit of extra protein!
Try it, because I know you’ll love it! 😀